To hell and back

The last photo shoot in a series is usually the most laid back in my experience.  I usually have a solid understanding of how I want the shot to look like and I'm pretty familiar with how I have been shooting things.  Of course this time it was different. I had family visiting for nearly a month, which honestly made me a bit lazy.

For the last shoot, I had a total of six characters that I had to get rigged to stand up on their own.  In a situation where you can't use any tie-downs, this proved to be exceptionally tedious.

The rigging was the least of my worries.  It literally took three hours to get the lighting set up and working properly.  I've never been so annoyed in my life, but it was completely due to my failure to stick to one lighting system.  I had one Nikon SB-700, a Youngnuo YN768, two White Lightning 600's and one White Lightening 1000.  

To say the least, there were compatibility errors.  Either one or two strobes wouldn't fire in sync depending on which was tethered to the sync cord.  Then every time I was able to get the Yongnuo to work, the SB-700 refused to fire.  I was nearly at the end of my rope when I decided to unhook the sync cord from the strobe, utilizing all three strobes on optical slave mode which were all triggered by the SB-700 firing.  Oddly enough, the Nikon and Yongnuo fired just fine when I had the commander off of the camera.  So with a 1 second shutter, I was able to capture just the photograph that I wanted.  

This officially was the biggest mess I made in my house for one of my projects, but it was well worth it :)

Last shot.

A video posted by jonathan d lopez (@clayalchemist) on

Here's a snippet from the last illustration.  It was worth the effort but I hurt for three days.